Friday, March 19, 2010

You come to our country, you learn our language?!?

Ok folks, so while most of you have probably long since forgotten my promised post on a certain controversial topic, I had not! That's one thing about me, for better or for worse: I will not forget something that I promised to do. So if I promised to pay you back the money I owed you, I will! If I promised that I would punch you in the face the next time I saw you, well, I will also do that (I don't make many of the latter promises though :-) ). I am in Prague for the weekend catching up on homework, errands, and internship work, so I figured this would be a good time to bring this up before I have to post about another wild European adventure ;-)

So I have been seeing these groups pop up all over Facebook that have names generally akin to "You come to OUR country, you learn OUR language!!", and I can honestly say that it completely disgusts me that people actually subscribe to that sort of thinking. Coming to a new country, whether it's for a semester or a lifetime, is always a difficult thing to do. There are a million and one new things to adjust to, and the language barrier is one of the largest hurdles in my opinion. If you can't understand the language, you're blocked from doing so many things. For me, I have learned to tune out Czech when I'm out and about, because at first, it stood out to me so much and always distracted me. I couldn't help but feel painfully noticeable (even if I wasn't speaking!). It's as if I felt that everyone knew I didn't speak Czech just by glancing at me. I still stick out, I know, but I've learned to accept it =) I'm a foreigner and that's how it is.

And while just a simple annoyance with those that are different from you--while still wrong, if you ask me--might be the motive behind a group as the one I've mentioned, I feel that it goes deeper than that for many people. And this isn't just for Americans who are angry with those who don't learn English, although I think that we are typically guiltier than most. Czech people, for example, can be extremely rude and downright unkind if they realize you aren't able to speak their language. They expect everyone to be able to speak Czech and can be judgmental if you do not. Please, don't get me wrong. Not everyone is like that. But it's definitely true of a large part of the population here.

However, I think it's interesting that of all places, the U.S. would become a place that looks down upon those who can't/won't speak English. Your native language is one of your closest ties to your ethnicity, and for many immigrants to the U.S., the first, second, and sometimes even third generation would not fully immerse themselves into English upon moving here. Rather, especially in the large cities in the U.S., pockets of cultures existed in their own neighborhoods, and while some might cry out in fear that the immigrants to our country are no longer blending well, what would you call those huge Irish-,Italian-, Polish-, African-American neighborhoods of the 19th and 20th centuries?

There seems to be this whole debate going on nowadays about whether or not the U.S. is a melting pot or, as some say, a salad of sorts, where everything is all in the same bowl but not blended together. Ultimately, I find it silly, because I feel that a fear of immigrants is a denial of who we all are. I do find the economic and political situation in Mexico to be troubling, and one that should be remedied. Not so that we don't have immigrants here, but so that people do not feel that their only option for survival is to slip across the border. The dislike of those who don't speak your language can often mean a whole lot more than just frustration in dealing with someone who can't communicate with you; it can signal something deeper. And while I think that's it's vital to learn the language of the country that you're living in, I can also sympathize with those who are slow to learn English. When you are thrust into something completely new, it is comforting to converse in your own language, even if it's just amongst your family and friends. It sounds harsh and very close-minded to expect everyone to speak your own language. As Americans, we are lucky that when many people come to our country, even as tourists, they are able to converse in English. When we go to their country though, are we able to converse with them? Remember that the next time you get angry at someone for not speaking your language. English may be spoken by a lot of people, and so it may get easy to expect it out of everyone, but that's naive and unfair. Our country was not built on the ideology that we must all think the same way and act the same way.

4 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you, beth (: That has been one of my biggest challenges thus far living in Norway! People know that I don't speak Norwegian, but they still speak to me in Norwegian and expect me to know what they are saying (or avoid talking to me altogether) ! And every single week I get asked if I am learning Norwegian (Which I have been working on, but it is NOT an easy language to learn!!) Thank you again for this post (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought before I came here to Prague that I would try learning a lot of Czech here, but it's so difficult to learn, and so I completely sympathize with you! It takes years to master a language, and I encounter so many people who just glare at me (especially the older generations) if I can't say more than "Dobry den" (good day). Ah well, all part of the adventure of leaving the U.S. =) Good luck learning Norwegian!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think what people are angry about is the fact that people who decided to settle in our country and own businesses are not trying to learn our language. You walk into a Chinese restaurant and you can't even communicate that you want to eat there because the whole place is family owned and can't understand you, that's where I get upset. If a person is genuinely learning, that's one thing, but when people come into our country and try to turn it into their own, then I have a problem. Yes we are a melting pot or salad or whatever, but we do have American traditions, and just as I would want to honor a chinese tradition in a chinese culture so I won't be disrespectful, I would also want a foregner to try and be respectful towards our culture - I hope that makes sense. So I guess I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just explaining the root of the anger when it comes to Americans getting upset. I do not like it though when people make racial remarks just because a person can't speak the language. Don't attack the person, attack the problem is what I think.

    Anyways, lol, I can see why you're frustrated with the facebook group. It takes time to learn a language. When Ethan went to germany he was able to pick it up because he told his german friends not to speak a word of english. He watched german movies with american subtitles and pretty much forced himself out of his comfort zone haha. Best of luck to you love! I love reading what's going on in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What Ethan did is impressive, Dianne! Not everyone has that kind of drive to learn and adapt to a new culture, and I think that we'd all be better off if more people did what he did.

    And you're allowed to disagree with me if you really disagree, Dianne =) It wouldn't be the first time it's happened haha (I'm thinking of a certain "holding the door for a woman" conversation haha). Anyways though, I see your point about being frustrated with not being able to communicate with someone at their store or restaurant because they don't speak English. It's like I was mentioning in my post: I think that people like to feel safe, and one of the easiest ways to do that is to speak your own language. However, as you said, if they own a business and are interacting with people that don't speak their native language, then they definitely need to learn English. It doesn't make sense to avoid learning English, but then again, some people just get stubborn about adapting. It's a fine line. Both sides need to realize the struggles that the other side is dealing with.

    ReplyDelete